Monday, January 11, 2016

Week 21: Holy Crepe! Investigators! Trip to a Spanish Emergency Room, and the thing in the drain...

Hola family!

This week has been strange, hard, funny and also pretty spiritual! We
had a great zone meeting on Thursday talking about us getting focused
again on missionary work after the holidays, and also about
repentance, which turned out to be a very applicable lesson to us all!
It was also fairly sad too since we had 6 departing missionaries in
our zone give their testimonies about what they learned on the
mission, and after working with most of them for the last almost 4
months it was a pretty emotional thing. After that, we were given the
goal to all have a baptism by the end of February in the mission, for
every companionship, which should be an achievable goal! Overall it
was a great meeting that got Elder Turner and I, and the rest of the
zone back on track!

A miracle that happened this week that made an impact on me was our
crepe activity that Elder Turner, Hemeyer, Parker and I put on for our
investigators and less actives in our ward/stake. The real miracle of
it was the super insanely good turnout that we had. It was basically a
family home evening, with a lesson at the beginning, crepes (I'm
grateful that my dad served in Paris France on his mission so that I'd
have the recipe and toppings), and a game to finish it off. While we
expected only around 15 people at the maximum, by the end of the night
there were around 40-45 people that came to the activity! Luckily our
church building was near a Mercadona since we had to run out to get
some more ingredients at one point, but in the end it was a super
successful activity that we’ll continue to have every few weeks for our
investigators!

So about the emergency room. I had injured my foot in soccer I think a
few days before Christmas, and thought I'd just walk it off. Well the
pain kept coming, and it was suuuupeer swollen, and two weeks later I
couldn't take the limp any more so I called into the mission home to
get me into the doctor. They in turn got me into the emergency/urgent
care center in downtown, where I had the fun experience of trying to
understand and speak Spanish to a bunch of fast talking, not ugly, and
a little bit weird nurses. The doctor gave the good news that it
wasn't broken, but that I had tendinitis on my left foot and I'd need
to take it easy. So they left me with pills and a foot wrap and I
skipped (sorta) my merry way to the church that night to bake those
crepes for our investigators! It's a lot better now, but dang I'm
definitely going to study my medical vocabulary before I head to the
doctors next time!

We also had the great experience of cleaning out our kitchen drain,
which wouldn't let water through any more. We pulled the bottom plug,
and the water that filled the sink came flying into our mop bucket,
but not expecting this much of it, the bucket filled up, leaving Elder
Turner to fly under and catch the rest with a mixing bowl. What
followed out of the drain looked like a mix of salsa, alien goo, and
fecal matter, and we all (I'm not even kidding here haha), let out some
pretty hilarious screams when it came flopping into the mixing bowl.
Once the creature had been pried from its home, we disposed of it out
on the patio drain, which didn't make it look any better. Overall it
was a strange experience, and now we know that in Spain it's a bad
idea to put food down the drain!

On a side note too, those three stories happened this last Tuesday, so
pretty crazy of a day!

This week for personal study, I've had a pretty diverse week in terms
of things that I studied. I went from pride to diligence to even
finding out that the word metaneo is Greek for repent, who knew right?
But one topic that I studied that made the biggest impact on me was
being a disciple of Christ. For that, the verse 3 Nephi 5:13 made the
biggest impact on me. I also found out, fun fact that the word
disciple is from a Latin word for learner, so while the apostles,
prophets, and basically any follower of Christ are disciples, it's
also comforting to know that for all the righteousness that some
people appear to have, they still are in reality learners of the
example and gospel of Christ just like all of us! Sweet!

Overall, while we struggled to get many people to listen on the
streets, it was a pretty fun week, and with possibly only three more
here in Valencia, I hoping to get the most out of these next ones!

Love and miss you all!

Elder Taylor Moulton

 My goals for this year, go moleskin for having super good goal notebooks!
 This would be a giant croissant on a wall...graffiti here rocks!
 Crepe night was a success!  Elder Turner, Hemeyer, the British Elder Parker, and me
 Thumbs up from the chef!
 Great turnout!
 By the way, I went to the emergency room for my really hurt foot!  It wasn't broken, but it was tendinitis so I'm on pills and had this cast on!
 This is Kpof Kpof (pronounced Bof Bof), made by our mission leader Victor, who is Nigerian for fried banana bread!  Pretty amazing!
 Contacting and passing by people on the back streets of  downtown Valencia

 Visited a Romanian member behind this sketchy Sirius Black door - the door opened 6 floors up by a rope tied to the door handle!
 Weird pic but this is where we spent our preparation day, Nuevo Centro
 Our favorite Patraix/bingo circle where we go for the metro, had the encounter with the Romanian man, and where our locutorio is
 Thank you moleskin for helping me keep track of my money better!
Officially a resident of Spain!

No comments:

Post a Comment